October 09, 2016

Haul | Kat Von D Purchases & Meeting Kat

Attending a meet and greet is very out of character for me. I've never idolised celebrities simply because we're all human and we all have flaws. Kat however is a woman I have so much admiration for. Her talent as a tattoo artist, how she brought that into her makeup line, becoming a successful business woman, her personality, I could go on forever. Originally, I didn't plan on going to London for the launch of Kat Von D or the meet and greet. However, I had conveniently booked a train down to Brighton from Birmingham on the launch date. So I went to check out the new counter in Debenhams on Oxford Street especially as I needed to replace my holy grail eyeliner

I ended up picking up a fair few bits considering how I've already tried out a lot of the range. Aside from the trooper eyeliner, I also picked up Dali, a teal coloured eyeliner to pair up with my hair. Next, I gravitated towards the metal crush eyeshadows. Even though I knew I shouldn't add to my ridiculous collection of singles, I couldn't help myself, as they're so pigmented. The shade I picked up was Doce, a metallic copper, the orange undertones got me. 


I've recently been leaning away from matte lips. Favouring my lipsticks and lipgloss over matte liquid lipsticks. The second I laid eyes on Gothica and Thin Lizzy, I had to try them on. They had insane amount of sparkle to them and have a 'metallic' finish to them. You can see the sparkle in the bullet. The two are pretty similar shades, Gothica is a bronze shade that looks natural on the lips and Thin Lizzy is more of a copper shade with some orange/red undertones to it. 

I also picked up a concealer, setting powder and eye contour brush after one of their makeup artists applied it on me. I found it really effective in covering my pigmentation scars from my acne. With one end of the brush she dabbed the concealer on and blended it out and with the other end of the brush she used the setting powder to lock the concealer into place. I was really impressed by how it neutralised the scarring I picked up all 3 items.

The goofy smile you make when your girl crush compliments you.

Since I received a wristband with my purchase and had a return ticket to London, I figured I may as well stop by. I arrived quite late, when the queue was probably at it's longest. The staff on the day tried their best to keep us entertained with freebies, snacks and competitions. We were given a tote bag to carry our stuff, samples of Kat's Trooper eyeliner and studded kiss lipstick in underage red. I ended up with 3 of each, so I plan on passing on the spare lipsticks to friends. They also kept us hydrated with water and for snacks gave us vegan cookies with either Kat Von D written on it or an image of the studded kiss lipstick on it. Towards the end of the line the makeup artists went around and offered to do touchups with the liquid lipsticks or to add stars with her liquid eyeliners.

I was ill prepared for the madness at Oxford Street. A few things I would do differently next time:

  • Get there as early as possible. If I hadn't taken the extra hour of sleep, another to curl my hair and just taken a taxi straight to the train station, I would have been at the venue 3 hours earlier. It would have meant not being right at the end of the queue and not waiting for as long either.

  • Bring something to sign. It's an awesome little memory to have and you have something to say if you're suddenly lost for words. How awesome would a signed palette have been?

  • Think of small conversation topics beforehand. I'm normally a confident person but for whatever reason, my brain just completely shut down when I met Kat, I was lost for words. 

  • If you're feeling rushed slow it down. Now, don't be that person who spends a lifetime with them. I was overly polite, I had my photo taken and felt like I was expected to just leave but had I just slowed it down a little and asked a question it would have been a minor annoyance to the organisers. Kat even slowed me down as I almost walked away without one of her famous hugs.

Overall, attending a meet and greet is a lot like going on a rollercoaster. You line up for hours for a minute or two of fun and at the end of the ride you get a goofy photo of yourself. Hopefully there'll be another opportunity for UK fans to meet Kat and next time I'll be able to get more out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I know quite a few people who attended the meet and I wanted to go myself but due to lack of funds and planning I decided to miss out this time around.

    It sounds like you had a great time though meeting her! ^_^ I'm so happy for you. :)

    https://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete