February 28, 2016

Brand Roundup | Best of Illamasqua

We're almost at the end of February and I've managed to kick my zombie like spending habits. Instead of rushing out and buying the current most raved about makeup item, I'm focusing on what I have. As someone who was a tomboy growing up, Illamasqua's Art of Darkness collection lured me into the makeup and beauty world. With one of my favourite artists, Alex Box, leaving Illamasqua earlier this year I'm expecting a possible rebrand. So, I'm sharing 7 products that made me fall in love with the brand, while they're all still relevant.

Powder Blushes | If you were take a peak at my blush collection, you'll notice over half of it is Illamasqua. Despite branching out and trying different brands, I still consider these to be the most pigmented ones I own. You only need a little for the colour to show up and they blend out easily.

Illamasqua Nail Varnishes | There are three shades I personally consider worth splurging on. Melange, the most unique of the three, is an antique teal with flecks of burnished gold. Viridian, described as peacock green but I don't personally see the blue tones and find it to be more of a emerald green. Last but not least we have Jo'mina which is described as an electric lilac because I just had to include a purple.

Skin Base Foundation | Despite branching out and trying out a mixture of different foundations, Illamasqua's Skin Base foundation is the only one I keep coming back to. It covers my pigmentation marks well without also breaking me out, something plenty of high coverage foundations seem to be guilty of. Admittedly, what works for me, won't necessarily work for everyone else. I found that in winter, when my skin becomes dry, that the foundation doesn't sit well on my skin and even separates a bit. Definitely best to avoid this one if you have dry skin but if you have oily skin, definitely give it a go!

Vintage Metallix | I've never been sold on cream based makeup products. Vintage Metallix showed me how wrong I was. If you want to look like you've done a full face of makeup but are lazy or simply don't have the time then these are for you! Just apply a little on the eye and rub it until it covers the entire lid. The formula is super long lasting and packed with sparkle. Bibelot (green) and Embellish (brown) are my favourites. Illamasqua products have definitely become a lot more expensive over the last 7/8 years, but these are definitely worth the price tag. 

Matte Lipsticks | Illamasqua matte lipsticks are very hit or miss. Their biggest criticism is how drying and hard they are. However, this doesn't apply to all of their lipsticks and some of the matte range have a creamy feel to them. Those shades are the ones that are worth picking up. My all time favourite has now become Maneater. Other favourites include Resist and Kontrol. They are the most long wearing, non liquid lipsticks I own and back in the day, they were one of the only brands on the high street that had an unusual range of colours.


Top to Bottom of Arm Swatches : Sealing Gel as primer, Sealing Gel as liner, No Base

Pure Pigments | I had to include some form of eyeshadow of course. While Illamasqua do a range of matte shadows, it's their pure pigments that stand out the most. There are a few easily dupable ones but some like Static's iridescent pink and silver sparkle along with Android's shimmering charcoal which are so stunning, it's difficult to capture their magic on camera.

Sealing Gel | Last but not least, one of my holy grails, which is now regrettably discontinued. I'm sure there are plenty of mixing mediums available on the market. However, this tiny gel is the handiest tool to have. I personally love using it to create custom coloured eyeliner but it can also be used to seal brows, lips or even as an ee

There are a lot of raved products by Illamasqua that I've missed out (gleam cream in Aurora comes to mind). This is only because I've never actually tried them out myself. 

1 comment:

  1. I've got a handful of Illamasqua products in my collection, but I love them all. Skin Base is one of my favourite foundations and the blushes, highlights and contours (both cream and powder) are some of my most-used. I'm a bit of a boring neutral lover though, so their bold colour ranges are slightly lost on me, but I do hope they keep their eccentric streak if a re-brand does happen!

    Alice / Alice Grace Beauty

    x

    ReplyDelete