December 29, 2015

Top 10 Beauty Products of 2015

2015 is the year I attempted to not buy too much makeup. While I like to believe I reduced the amount of makeup bought compared to last year, I'll admit that if I did, it doesn't feel like I cut down enough. The original plan was to share my favourite palettes, nail polishes and lipsticks all seperately as I did last year. In the end, it was too difficult for me to do as there were only a few stand out products that I truely loved this year. I've expanded my usual top 5 post to my top 10. So, in no particular order:

1. Urban Decay's Naked Smoky Palette
Despite attempting to not purchase too many eyeshadow palettes this year, I ended up purchasing 7 and having 2 gifted to me. Out of all 9 palettes, I found it too difficult to create a top 5 palette list because they all couldn't compare with this one eye palette, the Naked Smoky. This palette really stood out to the rest in terms of pigmentation, blendability and colour palette.

2. Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipsticks 
I've raved and raved and raved about the Jeffree Star Liquid Lipsticks, I worry I'm boring my readers with how many times I've repeated myself. I've had one dud shade, 714, which did not suit my skin tone at all. The rest have been some of the best purchases I've made. Stopping myself from purchasing all the shades has been difficult. My personal favourite lip shades are Doll Parts and Celebrity Skin which have become everyday essentials for work.

3. Marc Jacobs Gel Liner in Blaqueur
When visiting Paris this year, I made the stereotypical beauty blogger's pitstop at Sephora. After picking up a few Marc Jacobs products, I was kindly given samples to go with them. In the end, I didn't really enjoy the stuff I bought but loved the samples I was given. The Marc Jacobs Blacqueur gel liner has been very well loved this year.

4. L'Occitaine Hair Repair Oil
Having bleached my hair to oblivion and beyond, I've been spending a lot of money maintaining it's condition. While I still stick to the same shampoo and conditioning products, I've been using L'Occitaine's hair repair oil instead of the L'Oreal one. At £20, these aren't cheap but I love the scent and the oil is thick enough to calm my frizzy bleached ends.

5. Illamasqua Brow Gel
I've always felt very 'meh' about brow products. For a long while, I'd just use brown eyeshadow to fill my brows. This year, I picked up Illamasqua's gel liner after having a makeover by one of their makeup artists. They had done an awesome job and I had never seen them so perfectly shaped back then. The fact that I hadn't threaded or plucked them for over a year at that point and still managed to get 'brows on point'.

6. Zoeva Brushes
The Zoeva brushes are my favourite impulse purchase of the year. For the longest time I had felt as though I didn't have all the right makeup brushes I needed. Once I picked up the Zoeva Rose Gold eye brush set, I've not felt like I've needed any more. It's no wonder these have been so raved about, they're excellent quality. I plan on investing on duplicates to use exclusively in the makeup kit.

7. Makeup Forever HD Foundation
I'm absolutely gutted about this foundation. After picking this up heavily discounted at IMATs this year, I fell in love with this foundation. It blurred my big pores and had very good coverage without a heavy finish. Then, Debenhams had even brought the brand nationwide on counters in the UK, so it should have been easy to replace my bottle right? Except Makeup Forever has changed their formula now and relaunched the foundation as Ultra HD. While my first instinct was to just go and pick that one up, online reviews were less than stellar and put me off.

8. Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in Double Dare
The Kat Von D liquid lipsticks are my 2nd favourite formula. I find they're a bit more consistent in quality than Jeffree Star so far as I've yet to have found a dud in their range so far. Double Dare is awesome simply because it's both an awesome lip colour for daily use without sacrificing quality, something I had found plenty of nude/everyday liquid lip shades were guilty of.

9. Too Faced Baby Love Flush Blush
While this blush claims to last for 16 hours, I find blushes never last very long on my oily skin. This blush is no exception, it does not last 16 hours but it does manage to still be visible on my skin far longer than any other blush I own. I'm not going to lie though, how long it lasted wasn't the reason why I first purchased it, it was the adorable packaging that sucked me in.

10. Kat Von D Metal Crush Eyeshadow in Thunderstruck
This is the most versatile purchase I've made this year. Kat Von D's thunderstruck is described as a 'metallic pearl' on Sephora. It's great for adding sparkle to the lids, highlighting cheek bones or giving your lips a slightly metallic sheen. Perfect for those of us who don't want to splurge on the recent trend of lipsticks with pearl finishes.

What have your favourite products of the year? Share your thoughts on the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment