September 22, 2015

7 Highlights From My New York Adventures

If you follow me on Instagram, you'd know that I visited New York earlier this month. After 10 very busy days in the states, I've still not managed to sort out all my photos. Since we covered so much, in a city that's so big, I thought sharing just 5 of my favourite bits would be too few and 10 would take away from how much I enjoyed it. So I'm sharing my 7 personal highlights of my trip to New York, which I admit only covers the Manhattan area.

1. Chelsea Markets
I'm completely unaware of how touristy the Chelsea Market's are considered to be. Personally, I had never heard of them before and only came across it by chance while walking New York's Highline. Aside from being the place where Oreos were created, it's an excellent place to grab a bite of food and find unique gifts for those at home. I personally loved the Artist's and Fleas market within the complex.


2. Top of the Rock
As someone who has been lucky enough to have travelled a bit, I wasn't keen on the idea of going up some building to see the view of a city. I've done this in so many places including Toronto, Paris (twice), Dubai, London. I wasn't looking forward to doing another one but I was pleasantly surprised. Even though we visited around sunset time it wasn't too busy and you get an excellent view of Central Park, the Empire State Building & The Freedom Tower in far distance. If your eyesight is decent enough, you'll even be able to spot the Statue of Liberty.

3. Paley Park
Six minutes away from the Rockerfeller Center you may pass by a hidden gem of which could easily be passed off as just some alleyway if you're not paying attention. It's a small urban park featuring a 20-foot high waterfall. The splashes drowns out the rest of the big city, providing a relaxing escape from the a long day of discovering the city.

4. Book of Mormon on Broadway
This isn't exclusive to New York, Book of Mormon also plays in London (and is cheaper there too). if you're unfamiliar with the Book of Mormon, it's written behind the creators of South Park, which isn't too everyone's tastes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of musicals. I find them a bit too cheesy. However, as all the songs incorporated so much humour in it, I loved it and would easily watch again. I can't remember ever laughing so much throughout any kind of show. I hope to drag my partner down to London to watch it with him.

5. Trinity Church Cemetery
I'm sure this isn't a big deal for New Yorkers, as there are actually quite a few churches all over Manhattan. However this one really stuck out to me as it was right off the end of Wall Street. Walking around each gravestone, you'll discover a little bit of New York's history behind the important figures that were buried there.

6. Morgan Library & Museum
My biggest disappointment while visiting New York, was visiting the New York public library. The main reading room was under construction and there wasn't much to actually see within the building. So instead I headed to the magnificent Morgan Library & Museum. While I paid an entry free, admission is free on Friday's between 7pm to 9pm.

7. McGees - The Bar That Inspired How I Met Your Mother's 'Maclarens'
As a huge fan of the How I Met Your Mother tv show, I knew I had to stop by McGees. It's the bar that the writers used to hang out a lot in and inspired the Maclarens bar in the tv show. On Monday's they have a How I Met Your Mother themed food and drink menu. Including drinks called Robin Sparkles and the Naked Man. I ordered The Best Burger in New York. While I'm not a burger fan, it lived up to the name and I even revisited before leaving to taste that burger one last time before heading home.

Honorable Mention - Soho
My favourite neighbourhood was easily Soho, which is filled with quirky stores. They are home to the bakery that started the cronut. Which is a croissant and a donut in one pastry. The Bite Beauty lip lab where you can create your own custom lipstick shade is also there. They even had an awesome board game cafe and music store that had a respectful amount of metal albums. Sadly, I took 0 photos of the neighbourhood as I was too busy enjoying the time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment