June 12, 2015

Illamasqua Matte Lipstick Roundup

Since I've finally managed to go through all 12 of my Illamasqua lipsticks, I thought I'd give a bit of an overview for those that want a general opinion on their lipsticks. I've also included some side by side swatches making it picture heavy.

Maneater, Atomic, Fable, Test, Climax, Immodest, Resist, Magnetism, Shard, Kontrol, ESP, Pristine


Maneater - Classic Cherry Red

Atomic - Fuchsia Violet

Fable - Bright Rose Pink

Test - Soft Pink Chocolate

Climax - Dusty Rose Pink

Immodest - Vivid Pink

Resist - Deep Rose Pink

Magnetism - Deep Raspberry Pink

Shard - Red Violet

ESP - Vivid Violet

Kontrol - Blue Violet

Pristine - Pure Black

The biggest criticism that Illamasqua's matte lipstick range face is that they're very drying. However, I find this varies with each shade. Shades like Immodest and ESP are some of the worst offenders and are quite drying. Others are on the creamier side and apply smoothly and evenly without any effort like Maneater, Pristine and Atomic. If you suffer from severely dry lips then I'd recommend applying a lip balm and even using a lip scrub for certain shades.

The 'dry' quality of Illamasqua lipsticks mean they tend to really cling on to the lips, making them some of the most long wearing lipsticks that I own. Naturally, this also varies with each shade with Resist being the most long lasting. 

What initially drew me to Illamasqua lipsticks were their unique colour range, with teals, purples (although those are now popular), black and blues, they easily stand out compared to other brands you'll find in your standard beauty department. There are even some more common shades that have a unique edge on them like Atomic which seems like a standard fuchsia lipstick but has a violet sheen or Shard which looks different depending on the wearer.

At £18.50 they aren't the most affordable ones out there. However, they do a web exclusive deal of 2 for £32 online and often have sales and discount codes floating around. I think I only ever paid full price for my first 2/3 lipsticks back when they cost less than £15 each.

1 comment: