May 17, 2015

12 Days of Illamasqua Lipsticks - #1 Shard

For a long time I've been putting off reviewing my Illamasqua matte lipsticks. Mostly as some of them have been very loved and aren't particularly pretty to take photos of. Then there's the fact that for a long time I was very bias towards them as they were the only lipstick brand I would buy. For the past year though they've barely been touched as I've been buying way too many lipsticks. To curb my wasteful spending habits, I'm finally going through my little lineup of Illamasqua lipsticks and reviewing them one by one. 

Today's shade is from Illamasqua's Sacred Hour collection, Shard. It is described as a red violet however it's definitely a chameleon shade that looks different depending on who's wearing it. On me it looks nothing like the official swatches on the Illamasqua website. However, you can get similar results with a light application. It strikes me as a dupe for Melt Cosmetics Darkroom or Tom Ford's Black Dahlia.

I admit I've not given shard much love as when I first bought it I was a little new to dark lips and found it too dark. However, I've definitely gotten over that and expect to see myself reaching out for it more. If you do find it too scary a shade, I'd suggest toning it down slightly with a deep pink gloss. The makeup artists did this using Belladonna and the end colour was what convinced me to go for it.

The quality with Illamasqua lipsticks tend to vary with each shade. Shard applies quite easily without pulling. It's one of the slightly creamier formulas in their matte range. The lipstick is neither drying nor moisturising. It is very matte though. It ended up looking a bit patchy on my dry lips. The lipstick is very long lasting and only slightly faded after a meal. It lasted for about 6 hours before leaving a stain effect which lasted an extra 2 hours.

Overall, Shard is definitely a shade I'd recommend picking up. You can pick up Shard at Illamasqua's for £18.50.

2 comments:

  1. Shard is such a beautiful colour. I'll definitely pick it up if it ever appears in one of their sales. My favourite Illamasqua lipstick is still Diablo, and I'm still sad that they discontinued it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forwards to seeing all 12 days, what a good idea. I love Illamasqua lipsticks as well, hoping we have some the same as for some reason I love reading opinions on products I already have.

    ReplyDelete