March 15, 2015

Illamasqua Precision Brow Gel in Strike

I don't know what it is about eyebrows that seems to unleash the makeup snob in us all. While I really dislike makeup snobbery, I admit to being guilty about judging someone's brows in the past, although I try to push judgemental thoughts out of my mind as soon as I have them. My own brows have been bugging myself for ages now, especially as I haven't shaped them since permanently moving here. I put it off because I hate how much threading hurts. 

Left - Using powder products and before threading
Right - Using Brow Gel and after threading

I was introduced to Illamasqua's Brow Gel when the Once collection released and I was shown how to fake shaped eyebrows with it, which involved a fair bit of concealer. However, since purchasing it, I finally bit the bullet and threaded my brows for the first time in over 2 years.

I don't have the best experience with cream based brow products. The last one I tried, Benefit Brow Zings, put me off as I found it too harsh on me. Illamasqua's Strike, although described as a dark brown, isn't too dark a brown and the finished look gives a soft natural finish. If Strike isn't for you, Illamasqua launched 3 new shades this Spring including a taupe, an auburn and a grey.

Formula wise, I didn't struggle at all with the Precision brow gel. Naturally, I did hesitate the first few times but I managed to get very good results on my first try, especially with the help of my new Zoeva brush. The formula is quite creamy and blendable. I find if I make any mistakes it's quite easy to swipe it away into nothing. You'd think that'd mean it doesn't have a long wear time but the formula refuses to budge until it's removed. Funnily enough, shortly after I began using this, I started getting compliments on my brows as well.

The one drawback is the price, not everyone is willing to fork out £18.50 on brows. Other similar brow products available out there for less but considering how many offers Illamasqua do over a year, there's bound to be a deal offering a decent discount to make it worth it. Ultimately, I do see myself repurchasing this whenever I make my way to the end of the tub.

If you're looking to make the jump between a powder brow product to a gel/cream based one, I would definitely recommend trying out Illamasqua's Brow Gel. These are no longer exclusive to Selfridges and are now also available at Illamasqua site for £18.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment