February 05, 2015

Top 5 Marsala Makeup Products

Another year, another colour that's been chosen by Pantone. This years' shade Marsala is definitely one that's open to interpretation, which I really dislike. I wish they'd be a bit more specific as it's  While Sephora seems to have gone a very neutral route with their Pantone collaboration, I personally can't help but think of muddy reds and muted burgundy. It's safe to say the term 'Marsala' sounds significantly more marketable than 'mud red'.

Left - Lime Crime Venus on eyes & Sleek Flushed on cheeks
Right - YSL Kiss And Blush 11 Prune Impertinente on lips and cheeks

Lime Crime Venus Palette | Crappy reputation aside, I definitely think Lime Crime was one step ahead with their new Venus palette. One of the major reasons I had gotten it was because despite my hoard of eyeshadows, I couldn't find a red brown eyeshadow to dupe any of the colours in the palette. Makeup Geek's Bitten was a close one but leaned brown on my lids. 

Sleek Blush in Flushed | Easily one of the more affordable Marsala products that I own without sacrificing quality. Flushed definitely has an earthy deep red vibe to it. As someone who never applies blush especially heavily, I was especially impressed by how long-lasting the blush was.

YSL Kiss & Blush in Prune Impertinente | I purchased this YSL shade on a whim as the other neutral shades in the range didn't appeal to me very much. I was happy to discover the Kiss and Blush range has a stain to it rather than a gloss finish especially as glosses won't last more than an hour or two. Prune Impertinente is a muted burgundy which is stunning on the lips but definitely seems scary to apply on the cheeks. However, it's actually blends down to lovely natural finish.

Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paint in Chilli | When I first came across Barry M's Chilli, I felt rather meh about it as it was too muted down for me and was at the time looking for a more vibrant but deep ruby shade. However, it's a perfect, affordable Marsala nail colour. I adore the Barry M Hi-Shine range too, they're chip resistant, long lasting and have a lovely gloss finish.

MAC Lipstick in Sin | I admit this is much more burgundy than 'Marsala'. MAC describes Sin as a deep dark blue red, I find it's a chameleon shade. As in, it looks different on everyone and personally I feel it leans slightly on the browner side on me which could be due to my naturally brown lips. However other people say it leans a little purple.

Unlike last year, I definitely wasn't excited by Marsala when it was first announced. I was somewhat underwhelmed by it. However, I do like the concept, it certainly has a lovely vampy feel about it as long as you're not interpreting it as just another boring shade of beige. It'll be interesting to see if brands come out with more muted burgundy products or if they'll play it extra safe and just release the extremely neutral Marsala tones as Sephora seemed to have done.

So what are your thoughts on Marsala? Are you a fan or think it was a poor choice?

Find Me On Facebook | Add Me On Twitter | I'm Now On Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment