January 09, 2015

Tom Ford Matte Lipstick in Black Dahlia

I don't really do the whole Christmas thing, me and my partner exchange gifts and that's about it. This Christmas, I received an extra special little something, my first and probably my only Tom Ford lipstick. I admit, I did some rather heavy hinting with this gift, I made a list of things that I'd love to try out but would never spend the money on and boom, this is what I got. Even though it's the only gift I received, I still feel rather spoiled by it.


At first glance, Black Dahlia seems like a standard burgundy lipstick. However, it definitely has plum undertones to it as I've wiped some away to fix the shape of the lips before and it always looks rather purple on my fingers. On the lips, it's reminiscent of a darkened wine. Out of the current matte lipstick line-up, I only just discovered that it's one of two limited edition shades. I know I'm in the minority here but packaging wise, I really don't care for it. It's nice but aside from the Tom Ford logo on the lipstick, it doesn't especially excite me. 

Formula wise, if I'm 100% honest, I was expecting it to be rather rubbish so I was blown away initially. Whenever people describe lipsticks to apply like a dream, I've never been able to relate, until this one. It applied perfectly and to top it off the colour was just stunning. It's kept my lips moisturised throughout the day and with reapplying. However, after a couple more uses, I noticed that the problems only happened when it came to reapplying after meals. I found that a lot of the colour had sunk into the cracks of my lips so it'd require extra work for an even reapplication.

Unfortunately it's also not especially long-lasting. Considering how they've not claimed it to be longwear though, I can't really complain. If you're having a meal it'll only fade in certain bits but is rather durable but otherwiseI'd say it lasts around 4-5 hours. If that's a deal breaker, you can definitely get more long-wearing lipsticks for significantly less and even at drugstore prices. 

Even though I love this lipstick, I'm not going to encourage my readers to go buy it because of how expensive it is. I don't think many people are willing to spend £37 on a lipstick, even if it is a Tom Ford one, if you've been considering it for a long while though, I'd say sure why not. From what I understand the price is so high because it contains exceptionally rare ingredients including soja seed extract, Brazilian murumuru butter and chamomila flower oil. Personally, I can only see myself spending the money if it were a gift for someone else, but for myself? I still don't think I could do it, even though the quality is there. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! It's stunning x
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I love the color of the lipstick. I personally feel that the packaging is very elegant but I agree that it is very pricey. In Malaysia it would probably be more than MYR100.

    ReplyDelete