December 10, 2014

5 Most Disappointing Products of 2014

As I'm counting down my favourite products of the year this month, I thought I'd balance things out by writing up some of my least favourite products this year. I want to emphasise the fact that this isn't a worst products of the year post, just products that disappointed me the most as I've been lucky enough to not have many products that are so bad that they're completely useless.

The biggest let down for me has definitely been Illamasqua's matte lip liquid range. I've already mentioned in my review that I've always loved the brand, they're responsible for my makeup addiction problems, I decided to give them another try and tried out a second hand one in the shade Exotic (orange) and was still disappointed. It crumbles away and doesn't apply easily. I think Illamasqua knew they mucked this one up as the product disappeared off their site soon after.

Next up, is MAC's matte eyeshadows, I think between my Bloody Brilliant palette and my All About Beige palette, there was only one matte shadow that performed well. Having to use a white base for such a popular brand is ridiculous. I don't understand how people can rave about their shadows, even though their other finishes perform well, I've tried better.

Both Benefit's They're Real Push-Up Liner and Rimmel's Apocalips were rather hyped products. Rimmel even expanded their apocalips range to include matte lip liquids but I've been put off them personally, I don't seem to get along with the entire Rimmel brand for some reason. I found myself having to constantly reapply the matte Apocalips. The Benefit they're real push up liner was a great concept but ultimately, I find using a gel pot and a brush is significantly easier and more cost effective.

Last but not least is the NYX Macaron Lippies, while I love how fun and affordable these are the longevity and durability of these are a joke. These are great for shoots but if you wanted to use these for a cosplay or fancy dress you will find yourself having to constantly reapply these over and over. The formula is too creamy which causes these to fade within an hour, in the most unflattering way, I find it has a habit of settling into the cracks of your lips.

3 comments:

  1. I was disappointed by the Benefit eyeliner too. I thought it would be good for eyeliner idiots like me. It seemed to just complicate matters. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only MAC eyeshadow that I like and use on a regular basis is Copperplate. I completely agree with the Benefit liner, my sister gave me a sample size one that was in a magazine she bought, and I can't get on with it at all. It flakes almost immediately on me and just isn't easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing but bad about the liquid lipsticks that Illamasqua brought out, but I'm really sad about that as I wanted (and still sort of do) Forbidden so much!

    I noticed how as soon as they came out, they went back off the shelves again and I always wondered why.

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete