November 29, 2014

MAC Keepsakes All About Beige Eyeshadow Palette for Holiday 2014

I've been making a lot of impulse purchases lately, one evening, I made the serious error of walking into Selfridges on the same night that MAC's Holiday collection had launched. Being the magpie that I am, I fell in love with the glittery victorian portrait packaging and how small it was. I currently have so many shadows that I feel like buying any more with too much product would just go to waste, and prefer smaller quantity shadows that I know I can finish up.

Although I wasn't completely won over by my Kelly Osbourne quad, I thought I'd give MAC one more chance to prove their shadows were decent quality. The palette comes with 8 shades in a variety of matte, lustre, satin, veluxe pearl and frost finishes. The shades on the top row from left to right include Her Mistress which is a soft pastel egg in a matte finish, Sweet Sovereign a frosty gold champagne with a lustre finish, Faire Maiden is a bright coppery gold with a lustre finish and Tempting is medium-dark gold brown with subtle sparkle.

The first shade on the bottom row is Omega which is a soft muted beige taupe with a matte finish. Next is Quintessential which is described as a dirty olive in a frost finish, then Mystery is a muted plum brown with a satin finish but seems matte and Night Whisper is a rich blackened brown with a veluxe pearl finish but seems very matte when applied. I find the matte shades to not apply very well, both the lights and dark shadows were a pain to use with just a primer. I did manage to create a lovely look with the matte shades over a white base (the look on the right). However, for a hyped brand like MAC, I honestly expect better. That said, all the shades with shimmer/frost applied effortlessly when I created a look with them (look on left with choker).

Ultimately, I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this palette. It's an adorable little palette that makes for a cute gift but the quality in some of the shadows are definitely lacking. It's not bad but it's definitely not great or even good, it's ok at best. From now on, if I'm ever considering purchasing a MAC palette, I'm going to make sure it has little to no matte shades. It's incedibly obvious that the petite NARS and god created the woman palette is much better quality. Although to be fair, that palette doesn't have any pure mattes, as even their more matte shades include very subtle sparkle in them.

The MAC Keepsakes All About Beige palette is still available at Selfridges for £32. You can get 10% off with the code SELF14 until Sunday 30th November.

Find Me On Facebook | Add Me On Twitter | Now On Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment