September 21, 2014

My Top 5 Odd Coloured Lipsticks

A few years ago, I came across some celebrity who was wearing an odd shade of lipstick and thought, hey, I want that. However, I had no idea where to get such a colour, now, unusual lipstick shades have moved from being something only niche indie brands would offer, to high street brands (Illamasqua, Kat Von D) and now even certain drugstore brands (Makeup Revolution, NYX). These days, if a brand releases an unsual lipstick shade, you'll find that it's that colour that will go out of stock first. Take for example Kat Von D's studded kiss range, which now includes a black lipstick, a lilac one and a dark blue. When her lipstick range relaunched, the first lipsticks to sell out were those. As someone who finally has every colour of the rainbow in lipsticks, I thought I'd share my top 5 unusually coloured lipsticks. 

PZC 3 Witches, Melt DGAF,  LC Serpentina, NYX Pistachio, Illamasqua Pristine

Pretty Zombie Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in 3 Witches As a purple lipstick addict, I obviously couldn't help but include at least one purple lipstick. As a lot of high street brands seem to offer at least one purple lipstick these days, it's safe to say that they're not a very unusual shade. However, whilst most high street brands offer a berry/plummy/pinky purple, 3 witches by Pretty Zombie Cosmetics is a very in your face bright violet purple.

NYX macaron lippie in Pistachio Whilst the wear time of most of the Macaron Lippies are laughable and a lot of the shades do look hideous on me, I love this lipstick purely for the colour. I'll probably never make decent use of it aside for the few days I'm lucky enough to do have nothing to do but play with makeup though.

Illamasqua matte lipstick in Pristine Black lipsticks deserve more love, especially from myself. I find Illamasqua lipsticks tend to vary in texture with each shade. I picked up their matte black lipstick in Pristine for £5 during one of their online sales and was impressed by how easily it applied without any pulling or tugging. They're also the most long-wear lipsticks I own, so if you want to avoid fading when wearing black lips, I'd recommend Illamasqua's Pristine.

Melt Cosmetics lipstick in DGAF If you don't know what DGAF stands for, it's basically how you feel when you actually try it on, you don't care how ludicrous the colour is, you simply don't give. I've raved about this lipstick so many times now, a royal blue lipstick is not something I ever imagined I'd purchase, not even for a cosplay but I've not come across another lipstick colour that's made me feel quite as badass.

Lime Crime lipstick in Serpentina I've tried to find other green lipsticks to compare to this and whilst others last longer without needing to reapply, this will forever be my favourite green lipstick shade. It has a very Poison Ivy-esque feel to it and makes you feel poisonous wearing it.

So those are my top 5 favourite unusual lipsticks, do you have any? Feel free to recommend me some in the comments section below!

2 comments:

  1. I love unusual lipsticks, I wish I had the balls to ever really wear them. I only have the Makeup Revolution ones, plus a sample size of an old black Intertube from Shiro (Me Gusta) which is sadly sheer and patchy :(. I really should man up and buy some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DGAF. Have you tried Spacecake? It's another colour I never thought I'd love on me but it's surprisingly easy to wear (though with both I get plenty of 'dead' comments from people).

    Rachel

    nothingrhymeswithrachel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete