September 28, 2014

Kat Von D Chrysalis Palette

Kat Von D's makeup line impresses me more and more with each release. The line currently seems to be going though a makeover with new palettes, lipstick designs and repackaged liquid lipsticks. I'm really gutted that they're only available on Sephora US as I'm sure the entire line would do well if they branched out to other countries. I originally planned on picking up just the Monarch palette as it's so far the only 'nude' palette that's caught my interest. When I came across a eBay listing a while ago on a used Chrysalis palette, I thought I'd try it out.

LifeLike, Lunar Lights, Lucid, Hybrid Moments, Mezzanine, Transition, Glasswing, Melancholia, Black Milk, Graphic Nature, Entombed, Tornay

The palette comes with 3 base shades in large pans so you don't run out of them. Lifelike is a rather pigmented matte cream but a little chalky. Lunar Lights is an incredibly pigmented pearl grey and applies easily, it's the only one out of all three that I can picture myself using up. Lucid is a sparkle rose which seems rather pink in the pan but the pink is barely noticeable applied. I found it chalky and that it required some building whilst applying. The glitter particles didn't really stick to the eyeshadow both swatched and on the lids causing the sparkles to fallout.

The other 9 shades are in smaller pans and are meant to serve as accent-hues, where the other three are the 'go-to' shades. Hybrid moments is described as a matte deep purple, although I'd consider it a deep plum. I find it has a hint of chalkiness and requires a little building. Mezzanine is a sparkle violet that applies easily, but comes off a bit darker than what it looks like in the pan. Transition is a pearl mauve with excellent pigmentation and a buttery texture.

Glasswing is a matte caramel that matches my lid perfectly, I find myself using it all over the lid to seem as though I'm wearing nothing on my lid or will use it to blend out a smoky eye. The formula was also ultra soft and easy to blend. Melancholia is a pearl silver and my most used shadow. It's a little powdery on it's own but that problem disappears with a primer. Black Milk is a matte grey and probably my least favourite colour of them all, I find with my skin tone it requires a lot of building to get the colour to no longer be sheer.

Graphic Nature is described as a pearl charcoal which is rather pigmented but lacks the shimmer effect the other pearl shades have. I find the texture to be slightly powdery. Entombed is a pearl blue that applies easily, it's not as soft or buttery as other pearl shades in the palette are. Tornay is a matte navy and in my opinion, the worst performing shade in the palette. It's difficult to blend and required a lot of building. However, as bad as it is, it's still not bad quality and I've still tried worse quality shadows in the past.

The Kat Von D Chrysalis palettes are available on the Sephora US website for $46 who now deliver to the UK and other countries. 

3 comments:

  1. This palette is lovely! I'm surprised with the Melancholia pigment. Still yet to try Kat Von D's makeup range. I've heard so many good things about it though x
    http://nonfictionbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice palette, great pigmentation :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of that blue shade, gorgeous. I have the Monarch palette and it is beautiful.

    zoea2812.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete