July 21, 2014

American Apparel I Heart LA Glitter Nail Polish

When I visited Selfridges Birmingham's new Beauty Hall last month, Rose pointed out a really cute 'glitter' nail polish from American Apparel. Instead of glitter, you get tiny pink and red paper hearts. I've generally been rubbish with nail art in the last year, even when I try they don't seem to come out right at all but I thought I'd just go ahead and try anyway.

As the polish was under the 'glitter' category, I thought I'd add some actual glitter and use one of my Violet Voss glitters from IMATS. I decided to just go for my pot of red glitter (Rose) but in retrospect the purple or copper would have worked too as it'd help the hearts stand out more.

I started off with painting the tips of my nails red (rather messily as pictured above). Then I used the I Heart LA polish as a top coat by wiping off the hearts on the inside of the bottle. Immediately after, I began adding a heavy coat of glitter on the tips of my nails and a lighter layer in the middle. I did these two steps one nail at a time. Finally, I used the I Heart LA glitter polish on the nail and pushed the hearts around to wear I wanted with the nail polish brush.

Whilst the nail polish is adorable it's also a little tricky to use. You don't get a lot of hearts that come out at the same time which is handy if you wanted a minimal look. However, if you were hoping for heavy layers then you'll have to put some work into it. If you're a perfectionist, you may find yourself struggling whilst trying to align them all in the same general direction. On the plus side, it is a very unique polish and something I'd expect from an indie nail polish brand.

I can't seem to find a link to it online but I picked mine up from Selfridges for £7 and if you're in the states it may be worth visiting your local American Apparel store.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but positive things about American Apparel's nail polishes and this one is a beauty! :D

    Love how you painted your nails too hun. ^_^

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovee that glitter! So pretty ^^

    Kay ♡ imladiiekay

    ReplyDelete