June 19, 2014

Beauty News | US Makeup Brand Motives Cosmetics Launches in the UK

Last week, I, along with Louise and Zoe, was invited to the Cube in the Mailbox by Motives local brand ambassador Kirsty Lo for a mini launch party where I finally got the opportunity to try out a couple of products. The brand has a huge following in the states and I've read many positive reviews by American bloggers, so I was very excited to play around with them.

Blushes L-R: So Peachy, Pretty in Pink, Flushed, Naughty, Lust, Sun Goddess

Out of the beautiful display of makeup that greeted us the products that immediately caught my eye were Motives' nail polishes (£6.50) and the eyeshadows (£12). What's really cool about the shadows in particular is that they are magnetic, allowing you to depot them into a palette if you're not a fan of singles. 

However what stood out most to me was their blush range which I was very surprised to find were only £10 each. The compacts for both the eyeshadows and blushes felt very sturdy, something I knew would be safe if I just threw it into my bag. For hygiene reasons, we weren't able to touch the products with our fingers so my blush swatches were done with cotton buds, hence why they came out lightly.


After we played around a bit, Kirsty began giving us makeovers which I sadly couldn't take a decent picture of myself due to the lighting when I was done. However, I did get to wear the lipstick Magenta, that I had my eye on along with trying their Jennifer Lopez approved 10 years younger makeup setting spray, I definitely felt as though my foundation lasted longer than usual wearing it. More importantly though, I was surprised to find that Motives Liquid Powder Mineral Foundation didn't worsen my patch of dry skin on my face caused by eczema. 

Another cute product that caught my attention though was their black gel liner. As someone who hasn't really used enough to say weather it was good or bad quality, but has been meaning to try out gel liners, I think this will be the one I end up purchasing and trialing. Why? Because they named their black gel liner Little Black Dress. D'aww.


I know a lot of my followers love lipsticks, so I saved these for last! For some reason, the lipstick shades that appealed to me the most on the day were brighter than what I've been wearing lately. My top 3 picks are Magenta, Pink Sand and Red Coral. Again, as we weren't able to directly apply them, you can see how pigmented these are. At £12 each, they won't break your bank balance either. Motives also has a second range of lipsticks that are tailored for women of color however we were only shown the main range on the day.

As you can tell the brand sells higher end quality makeup but at a fraction of the price. How is this possible? They basically don't do any advertising at all, keeping their costs and so prices low. Their major following in the US is all from word of mouth and social media such as Instagram. They also don't sell any of their products in any store, only online or via brand ambassadors.

If you're not a fan of online shopping and especially shipping fees, they don't charge for shipping at all on their UK website. No matter how little you pay, you get free delivery. As an added bonus, if you order by 12pm, you will receive free next day shipping as well.

Have you heard of Motives before? What product should I get first?

3 comments:

  1. It all looks so pretty!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Love the lipsticks! Looks so pigmented ~

    Kay ♡ imladiiekay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks amazing, looks like you had a lot of fun. So bummed that I wasn't able to attend :( xx

    ReplyDelete