May 11, 2014

My Purple Lipstick Addiction & Swatches


Ever since I purchased my first purple lipstick (Illamasqua's Kontrol), I suddenly decided that I needed ALL of the purple lipsticks ever. I've swatched them all both on hand so it's easier to compare and on the lips with some very not so subtle posing. One of my biggest pet peeves is the number of lipsticks on the high street that are described as purple but swatch pink, brown or berry. All these lipsticks have passed my personal 'yup that shit's definitely purple' test.

First Row - Kate Moss 04, Coloured Raine Arabian Night, MAC Heroine
Middle Row - Illamasqua ESP, Illamasqua Kontrol, Melt Cosmetics By Starlight
Bottom Row - Sleek Exxxagerate, Kat Von D l.u.v, Revlon Shameless 

Kate Moss 04 is a dark plum lipstick and although I love the color, I'm not a fan of the scent. Coloured Raine is an indie brand that I've not really heard much of but they have a range of crazy lipstick colors. Arabian Night is a deep true purple lipstick. MAC Heroine is a pinkish purple lipstick and officially my go to purple lip color in the last 2/3 months.

Illamasqua ESP is a vivid violet lipstick and forever one of the most difficult formulas to work with. Even with a lip primer it tends to patch up on your lips and won't stick in certain areas, it's a shame as the color itself is lovely. The formula on Illamasqua's Kontol is applies like a dream compared to ESP It is an opaque blue violet. Melt Cosmetic's By Starlight has an odd coconut scent to it but even though I'm not a fan of them the smell is tolerable.

Sleek Exxxagerate is an almost exact dupe to Heroine but is less vivid. Kat Von D L.U.V is unfortunately part of a limited edition set but is a lovely subtle shade. Revlon's Shameless is one of my first lipstick pencils and I love the convenience of it being a lip pencil and lipstick. I can totally understand why these are so popular, I definitely need more of these!

Favorites: Illamasqua Kontrol, MAC Heroine, Revlon's Shameless
Least Loved: Kate Moss 04 & Illamasqua ESP

Expect a second post of swatches but with purple liquid lipsticks and glosses in the future. There are a lot of other purple lipsticks out there, what are your favorites?

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have a fair few, I should definitely make a move on swatching them!

      Delete
  2. I've also have a purple lipsticks craze at the moment ^^ love your purple lipsticks collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love purple lips, I think I need By Starlight in my collection. A lot of my purples are more berry toned, I did like Shiro's Magnets but its discontinued (and got a bit gritty) and Makeup Revolution's 100% Vamp for a more berry purple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are a lot of berry toned purples, curious to see how you get along with Melt, I love them ^^

      Delete
  4. Ooooooh I'm in love with everything in this post! Definitely need my hands in the Revlon one, I wasn't sure as I don't get along with mattes but the shade is to die for! Thanks for fuelling my lust for purples :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's matte it glides on quite well, so hopefully it'll work for you ^^ I have more purples than I'll ever need o.o

      Delete
  5. I really want to try out purple lipstick but I always feel too scared to, as MAC's Rebel is as purple as I feel brave enough going.

    I love this post though, it's given me some encouragement to try one of the purple lipsticks you mentioned. ^_^

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best way to get comfortable with it is to just wear it at home first I find, especially with new lipstick shades to become used to it. Which lipstick are you considering trying?

      Delete
  6. You pulled it off well! I hope it'll look better on me too!! :)

    Follow each other's blog?

    Nina of http://tohoneysuckledays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really suit purple lipstick, however I don't think its my calling! I came from the #bbloggers blog hop!

    If you could check out my blog and give me some advice, that'd be brilliant!
    Danielle | theperksofprettythings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Following you too now ;)

    Nina of http://tohoneysuckledays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post so much! <3 All of these shades are gorgeous- right now revlon shameless is my favorite though. I've never tried the illamasqua or the sleek lipsticks, but I really want to now!

    ReplyDelete