March 15, 2014

Lime Crime Serpentina Dupes

When I began experimenting with lipstick colors, Lime Crime's Serpentina was the lipstick shade I was desperate to try. I contacted a local supplier and asked when it would be in stock only to discover it's a seasonal shade available around Halloween. So I thought I'd compare Melt's Blow and Illamasqua's Violate to Serpentina for those of you who may have missed out.

I admit I do genuinely love Serpentina and felt very Medusa like whilst wearing it. When people mention dupes for Serpentina they usually mention Illamasqua's Violate and recently have been recommending Melt's Blow but as you can see above neither of these are exact dupes for it.

Melt Cosmetics' Blow is one of their latest additions to their range. It strikes me as a greener version to Illamasqua's teal lipstick, Apocolips and it's a lot lighter than Serpentina. The formula is a slightly creamy matte whilst Serpentina is just creamy. In addition, Blow has a fruity scent that reminds me of coconuts but I'm probably wrong as I have a terrible sense of smell.

Illamasqua's violate tends to be the instant dupe recommendation that comes to mind. Unlike Illamasqua's intense lipglosses though, this is a sheer gloss and obviously doesn't provide the same coverage on it's own. It works best when used with a lipstick and is a darker green than Serpentina. I personally like to pair it with a black lipstick but there might be some sort of lipstick lipgloss color combination you could pair together to get a closer dupe.

Overall, although there are alternatives there isn't really an exact dupe that I know of yet. Other substitutes that I've heard of but not tried: Impulse Cosmetics metallic lipstick in Boggart, Kaoir Envy Us, Stargazer lipstick in 137, Manic Panic Green Envy lipstick, there are probably more that I've not heard of out there.

8 comments:

  1. Blow looks just gorgeous! Shame it's sold out online at the moment =(

    Gem x

    Hellbent for Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know >.< It's a new shade that they've added, hopefully they'll restock sooner rather than later too

      Delete
  2. I really want Serpentina but I have no idea where I would wear it! I nearly bought Violate when it was £5 in the sale but I passed on it. I'll definitely buy it if it comes up in a sale again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a weird color, you just need to be ballsy about it and wear it though. I managed to brave it in public XD Yeah the only reason I own violate is because it was an impulse purchase during the sale, it is beautiful though!

      Delete
  3. I've heard so much about Melt Cosmetics. I definitely have to try something. Blow looks really pretty on you! I'm not quite sure it's something I could pull off though. The Violate on Black looks interesting, too! Great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to try out something new and odd. I admit, I don't really get a lot of public wear out of them but they're great for costumes and fancy dress things ^^

      Delete
  4. I was just Googling to see how similar Blow and Serpentina were (thinking there was no way I'd find a comparison), and I can't believe my luck to find your blog post! I think Serpentina is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it'd be handy for a few people as I really like Serpentina and it's often compared to these two shades :)

      Delete