February 03, 2014

Nails of the Day | Monarch Nails

I've been meaning to get back into nail art, not that I consider myself particularly good but you can't improve without practicing right? Since my nails have grown to a reasonable length I thought I'd finally get back into it. I recently purchased my first two bottles of picture polish varnishes and whilst wearing imperial I thought it'd be an amazing base color to wear with a monarch butterfly inspired manicure.

Once again, I'm going to have to apologise for my image quality, I used flash for all of these photos instead of natural lighting because winter just needs to go away already. This is my first attempt at doing monarch nails, at first glance I thought I did an alright job but after looking at some images online I realised mines doesn't look half as decent as so many others. That's what you get for not using any reference images and just going freestyle from memory. Personally, I felt as though I did a better job on certain fingers but terrible on the others. I think the next time I do this, I'll use some sort of reference image so I'll know what the hell I'm aiming for.

That said, for a first attempt I don't think I did too poorly and it's been a long time since I've handled any fine brush. Also I had a hiccup and found out that my black barry m polish is all a big gloopy mess so I couldn't really color in the black parts as well as I'd have liked with the Inglot nail brush. For the white dots, I ended up just using Illamasqua's precision ink liner in Scribe.

Have you ever attempted a monarch style manicure? How did it go for you? 

4 comments:

  1. EEEP YOU LOOK SO COOL.
    I love this colour,
    and your necklace is amazinnnnnng.
    Your lipstick looks great against your skin tone!
    Kelly from | Day Dreams & Daisy Chains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao, thank you, thought i'd change up how i showed off the nail art!

      Delete