December 30, 2013

My First Christmas Experience

Growing up in the middle east, my folks wasted no time in letting me know that Santa wasn't real. (I really hope there aren't any kids who read this blog). An unspecified parent was especially anti-Christmas. This meant I wasn't allowed to join friend's Christmas parties or give gifts to friends who did celebrate it, so receiving gifts was awkward. Christmas was just another day, so permanently moving to the UK has let me experience it for the first time.

I'm going to cut to the chase, on actual Christmas day, I slept till 5pm due to work related reasons and had the house to myself. So when I say the 'Christmas Experience' I mean the month leading up to it. The first Christmasy related thing I took part in was way back in November where we caught the local Christmas parade and watched as the Xmas lights went on in Brum. We finished the night by indulging in some overpriced hot chocolate at Starbucks. 

Personally Christmas day for me was way back on Dec 1st where I along with a couple of friends had a Christmas dinner together. It was quite amusing and I learned a lot, I had no idea crackers were a regular feature (I got tiny tape, I have no idea if I'll ever find use for this) at a Xmas dinner but you have to pull it in a specific way. I also had no idea cheesey Christmas songs are regularly played at these dinners, I felt like I had warped into a Christmas movie. Despite all the temptation, I didn't really stuff my face too much, but I did get sleepy and apparently was the token grandpa at the party and had a quick nap.

Aside from that, I was gifted my second ever advent calendar and unlike the first time, I actually managed to not eat it all in a few days. My partner was away with family on Christmas day but I was surprised to get a message saying to go look under the Christmas tree whenever I woke up and lo and behold there were two tiny packages waiting for me. Since I had also bought something for him, I had to fight my curiosity and said I'd wait till he came back so we could exchange gifts face to face.

The day after, I thought I'd make my way into town and at least see what all the fuss surrounding boxing day was. I was rather disappointed by the sales as a lot of it just seemed like reject Christmas gifts. I did however, manage to pick up the Bat Lash set from the local Illamasqua counter so no complaints. I also didn't think the crowds were that bad, (the side effects of being raised in the land of the malls) but I may have been lucky and missed the rush.

Overall, it was definitely...an experience? It was nice to finally kind of get into Christmas but I have to say people definitely seemed extra preachy this month. Getting religious talks made me cringe a lot, same with people saying how terrible it was for people to go and indulge in boxing day. It all just came off as extremely narrow minded. The only other minor disappointment would be the lack of Christmas decorations I've seen. I had kinda hoped people in the neighborhood would go crazy with Xmas lights all over their houses but I'm going to guess that'd be something I'd have to move to the states for.

How did other people's Christmas go this year? Let me know below and even feel free to link up to Xmas related posts below :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh it looks like lot of fun.
    Happy new year
    http://hauteandcomely.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'aww thanks happy new years to you too :3

      Delete
  2. Glad you had fun experiencing Christmas! I love xmas as I spend quality time with friends and family and love giving gifts :) People can go pretty OTT though which I personally find ridiculous. I always find theres such a big build up to xmas then its all over so quickly, bit of an anti-climax haha! Definitely a good time for some shopping though, I'm about to place some online sale orders tehe! Have a very Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing whats posts you have in store! :) Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Christmas definitely seems to have a different meaning to everyone, most is quality family time, some an excuse to have nice food. I definitely had that anti-climatic xmas feeling lol xD but that's cause i was alone on the day lmao

      Delete
  3. Lovely post (and photos), I love the January sales but I tend to only shop online as I think in store the sales are disappointing and you tend to get people 'fighting' over stuff....
    Happy new year x
    http://daintydeescouturedreams.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't really find much online either though tbh, I was actually disappointed by lack of fights as I had expected things to be like that one scene in confessions of a shopaholic.

      Delete