December 19, 2013

5 Refreshing Ways Frozen Breaks the Traditional Disney Princess Fairytale Mould

When I first watched the trailer for Disney's Frozen, I honestly didn't think much and was not hyped to see it at all. That snowman struck me as annoying and the plot seemed uninteresting. When many positive reviews began spreading all over the web, the movie suddenly grabbed my attention and I made my way to the cinema to see what all the fuss was all about and damn did it bring such a welcome refreshing change to the usual Disney Princess story. If you haven't watched the film yet, I highly recommend you do before you read any of this as it contains important spoilers.

Warning: Spoilers!


1. Sisterhood
Admittedly, Anna and Elsa are not the first/only sisters in the Disney Princess world, Ariel has six others! The difference is the movie actually focuses on the relationship between the two whereas Ariel's sisters were mere background characters. After all, Ariel is parading with her prince in Disneylands across the globe whilst you won't be seeing any man next to these two.

2. Hey I just met you, and this is crazy but let's get married!
Love at first site seems to be a recurring theme with many of Disney's princesses. Not only does the film end without a marriage but it actively pokes fun of the prospect of marrying someone you've just met. I('m embarrassed to) admit to falling into the same silly trap of fantasizing marrying all of the crushes as a kid, so it's nice to see Disney mix up their general relationship advice: Wait and see how things go!

3. True Love conquers all...
...just not in the romantic sense, sisterly love counts too! I admit, I was betting on it happening when they were going on about how an act of'true love' would fix things but I grew doubtful during the climax of the story where it seemed as though the standard true love's kiss was about to happen. Thankfully, due to a quick turn of events not only did sisterly love win but Anna also performs the deed resulting in her saving herself.

4. Prince Charming is the villain
Title is rather self explanatory, that said I was very surprised by the reveal, much more so as it was a Disney film and I just assumed they would never do something like this. This essentially reinforces the second point, be careful with who you get involved with, you never know what their true intentions are, even though they may seem lovely.

5. A Disney Princess who isn't perky and optimistic
I think we can all agree that all princess' in the Disney lineup have thus far held a general positive outlook on life (the most cynical I can think of is Meg from Hercules) and Elsa brooding personality really does separate her from the rest. The poor girl is traumatised by the prospect of hurting her sister with the powers that make Elsa unique that she isolates herself from the rest of the world. She's an obvious introvert, unlike the rest of the Disney princess' she struggles with self-acceptance, an issue I think many of us can relate to.

What else can I say? The film was beautiful to watch in 3D, even the title of the film was so detailed and gorgeous to look at. My main issue was probably all bursts into songs, I am most definitely not a fan of musicals, if you're going to sing, it needs to be big and epic or at least incredibly clever and humorous for me to appreciate it. 'Let it go' was the obvious standout 'epic' song in the film and the visuals that accompanied it were glorious. It really was nice to see the creative team have so much fun with Elsa's snow and ice abilities. I did find it funny when Elsa had her costume change though, definitely had a 'god damn I am sexy' vibe to it.

Overall, I thought it was a good film, not great due to a somewhat flimsy overarching plot but a pleasure to watch definitely.


No comments:

Post a Comment