December 11, 2013

5 Radiant Orchid Makeup Products for 2014

Radiant Orchid has officially been announced as color of the year for 2014, where Orchid is classed as a purple with pink undertones. I'm most definitely a huge fan of purple but I have to say I'm rather disappointed that it's a pink based purple as I do find the number of 'purple' lipsticks on the high street that are more pink than purple slightly irritating. I want more blue based purples! Violet all the way! I don't usually care at all about trends but it would be cool if companies were to release truer purple products over pinky purple this coming year.


Products L-R (No primer) : Illamasqua Shadow in Savage | Sugarpill Shadow in 2AM | Illamasqua Blush in Thrust | Kat Von D Lipstick l.u.v. | Lime Crime Uniliner in Orchidaceous

As I said, I'm not into trends and I was just curious to see if I even had anything that was Orchid. I was surprised to find I did own one flowy top that probably qualifies along with these 5 makeup products, which are my only orchid makeup products. It would have been ideal to have had a single type of each product in this but surprisingly, I don't own a pinky purple nail polish at all, so I've popped in two shadows instead and didn't want to go out of the way to buy makeup in a color I don't necessarily love.

1. Illamasqua Pressed Eyeshadow in Savage I purchased this during one of Illamasqua's summer sales for just £5 on a whim. I'm ashamed to say I haven't really used this color much aside from adding it to a pink eyeshadow look for extra depth. I need to use my Illamasqua shadows more as I don't have a definite opinion on them yet.

2. Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow in 2AM | Heartbreaker Palette I've said in my Perfect Palette tag that my Sugarpill palettes give the best color payoff, especially this palette. I admit, poison plum is definitely my favorite purple shade out of all of the ones Sugarpill do but this is my second favorite and it goes really well with the rest of the colors in the palette.

3. Illamasqua Powder Blusher in Thrust This is the closest 'purple' blush I own, Illamasqua actually describe it as a deep magenta pink. I adore Illamasqua powder blushers as they're long lasting and super pigmented, I admit though that with this shade, I'm too scared too apply too much on my cheeks as I'm worried it'll make me look a little too clownish as it's rather bright.

4. Kat Von D lipstick in l.u.v. My purple lipstick collection has grown a lot in the last few months. I've specifically been avoiding buying any pinky purple lipsticks so this is probably the closest one to orchid I own which doesn't have a blue undertone or isn't too brown or berry like. L.u.v. is currently only a limited edition shade that was part of Kat Von D's Spellbinding Lipstick Set. Fingers crossed, it will be part of their permanent range as it's my most used from the set. 

5. Lime Crime Uniliner in Orchidaceous Officially the only item I own that has 'Orchid' in the name, I had to include this. That said, after swatching, this is clearly the most blue toned purple out of all of these. I do adore these eyeliners as I don't really know many companies that do colors like these that are cheap as well. The only issue I have with Lime Crime's liners are that some of them need extra layering as they're not opaque enough.

What are your thoughts on the new color of the year? Awesome? Disappointed? Maybe apathetic? Let me know in the comments section below!


8 comments:

  1. That Kat Von D lipstick looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, I adore it, currently my most worn purple lipstick ^^ Gutted it's only a sample size >.<

      Delete
  2. So pretty! Purple is my favorite color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hopefully the coming year will be full of purple makeup products for you then :P

      Delete