November 08, 2013

Kat Von D Spellbinding Lipstick Set Swatches

I've been stocking up on a lot of lipsticks recently, this is only one of the two gift sets I've recently got my hands on to expand my lipstick collection. This Kat Von D mini lipstick set of 10 packaged in Miss D's artwork and has an awesome variety of colors, making it an awesome sort of starter kit for those of us who generally like to play it safe with lipstick and are looking to experiment more and also has a few safer and neutral shades too for everyday use. 

I had heard that these mini lipsticks were small but I think in my mind I still expected them to be rather big for some reason. When I finally received this item in the mail over a month ago, I was surprised by how tiny these were. They reminded me of a dolls' lipstick. I've compared my full sized Lovecraft tube with the smaller one contained in the set and the mini has a third of the amount of product as the full sized one. Which isn't too bad as you can still get a decent amount of usage from each set and actually finish a tube rather than leaving it to rot with all of the other lipsticks I own.

Backstage Bambi, Thin Lizzy (exclusive), Underage Red
Ritual, Mau5 (exclusive), A Go-Go
l.u.v. (exclusive), Bachelorette (exclusive), Vampira (exclusive)

Backstage Bambi, Lovecraft, Thin Lizzy, Underage Red, Ritual, Mau5, A Go-Go, l.u.v, Bachelorette, Vampira

Backstage Bambi is a hot pink
Lovecraft is a berry beige
Thin Lizzy is a metallic rusty red
Underage Red is a bright crimson
Ritual is a terracotta suntan
Mau5 is a deep pinky purple
A Go-Go is a reddish coral
l.u.v. is a rich violet
Bachelorette is a dark fuchsia pink
Vampira is a deep reddish burgundy

My favorite shades out of all of these are Backstage Bambi, it's a pink that I don't think looks too bad on me and that I'd actually try to wear, along with mau5 and l.u.v., it's nice that the set contains a purple lipstick that's actually purple rather than a pinky purple. I would include Vampira as a favorite but it's a new and exclusive shade that reminds me too much of Homegirl which I already own. Ritual is the perfect lip color for me as it's the perfect match for my natural lip color.

My least favorite shade out of all of these is definitely Bachelorette and I wish that Lovecraft wasn't in this as I already own a full sized one. Thin Lizzy is the only foil finish lipstick in the set and I do love the finish but figuring out what to wear with it will probably be problematic.

Like with the full lipstick sets that I've reviewed before, these lipsticks are quite creamy and all of them applied easily. That said, the creamy texture makes these lipsticks last anywhere between 2 to 5 hours. On the plus side, the lipsticks are enriched with Vitamins A, C and E to keep your lips hydrated so these really do not try out your lips at all.

If you'd like to grab one for yourself you can purchase the set for $39 on the Sephora website. For those of us abroad, you can purchase the set for £40 at Roses Beauty Store. The price has gone up recently as when I purchased mine it was for £37. The set is a limited edition set but I imagine next year the brand will release yet another set during christmas season as she's done in previous years.  

Overall, it's a great set and an awesome way to try out a decent range of Kat Von D's lipsticks. It would probably make an awesome gift for Christmas, alternatively the mini lipsticks would make for awesome stocking fillers.

Update: Most if not all the limited edition colors in this post are now available in full size at Sephora!

12 comments:

  1. OMG gorgeous lipsticks, I definitely need this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I would love to try this set! I hate that we can't get Kat Von D in the UK easily.

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does suck but you can get a few from roses beauty store just for a little more, it's still cheaper than a flight to the states right?

      Delete
  3. Wow these look amazing! I want to try and get my hands on some of Kat's lipsticks/lipglosses so I think I may have to invest in some in the future. :D

    Your swatches look amazing too btw. :D

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^^ Glad you like the swatches as I've only recentlyish been swatching lip products this way xD

      Delete
  4. really cool and the lip colors are beautiful :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my current most worn one is l.u.v. :3

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's probably one of my least favorite out of all of the shades, maybe I'll appreciate it more later

      Delete
  6. Thank a lot! Your swatches helped me a lot choosing my shade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Love these, amazing swatches ♥

    Kay ♡ imladiiekay

    ReplyDelete