September 06, 2013

UD Revolution Lipstick & Lip Liner in Venom

Last month Urban Decay finally released their new revolution lipsticks in the UK (it released in July in the states already), along with their new range of 24/7 lip pencils. I was quite eager to try their new lipstick out when they had released in the states but sadly their US website didn't deliver to the UK and the lipsticks didn't release in the UK until a month after. So when they finally released in the UK, I made my way to Debenhams to get a look at the lipsticks and tried a few on. After trying on quite a few lipsticks, I settled on Venom which is definitely one of the more unique shades out of the collection, it is described by the brand as a bright plum.

I love the packaging on the new lipstick, it's an amazing revamp that makes it far more appealing than the previous design. The tube has a gunmetal vibe and is less tacky than the previous design, definitely much more 'grown-up' and sleek. It definitely seems as though the brand has been changing their image in general so they can be taken more seriously by a wider demographic.

Revolution Lipsticks
"Creamy, badass luxury. Our pigment infusion system delivers insane color payoff with creamy shine, Maxi-Lip plumps and nourishing oils leave lips cushiony soft." - Urbandecay.com

24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil
"Get primed and ready for action. Our long-lasting, waterproof liner glides on smoothly to prime and define - for long-lasting lip color and clean lines." - Urbandecay.com

I'll start off by talking about their lip pencils. I am so glad I bought this, I completely underestimated this lip-liner which was so silly of me as it has the 24/7 brand on it, which essentially translates to, it's super long lasting, just like all the other products in their 24/7 range. They come in 16 shades in total, including one invisible shade (ozone) that you can use with any shade of lipstick. Urban Decay also have a list of which lip liners they would match with specific shades of their revolution lipstick range as a guide, obviously, it's up to you if you want to experiment. Each one of these retails for £13.

The Revolution Lipstick aside from it's new look also has jojoba oil, avocado oil, cocoa butter and shea butter to nourish and moisturise your lips. There are 22 shades in total, they aren't all crazy colors but you do have reds, oranges, a bright pink and two darker shades in the collection to spice things up a little. They are all wearable shades though they may not suit your skin color potentially. I tried a pink that ended up looking awful on me, I think it must just be a color that will never work on me.



First off, I apologise for the swatches, they could be better but I did a quick rush job as the sunlight was disappearing quite quickly when I returned home. Anyway, I love this lipstick, both with and without lip liner although I prefer it's durability with the lip liner.

The Venom Revolution lipstick applied alone can be done in one layer, making it somewhat sheer but makes it more wearable if you're afraid of darker shades. Personally, I prefer layering it on quite thick as I love the vampy finish it gives. I love how moisturising it is, I'm so used to drier lip products that it's a novelty for me when I use a lipstick that nourishes my lips. My main problem with this lipstick is that ultimately it's not very long lasting on it's own. I would say it lasts roughly 2 to 3 hours on your lips. It also transfers quite easily too so expect a lot of reapplication.

If you're like me and loathe reapplying makeup, line your lips and fill them in too to give them a good base. Urban Decay's lip liner really amazed me, once I added this, it was amazing how much more durable the lipstick was. It survived the 8 hour test easily. The liner acts as a primer for your lips which makes it so long-lasting, it isn't too dry to apply on and it doesn't feel like it's there at all. I have genuinely fallen in love with Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencils. Don't be surprised if a couple months down the line you find me with their full lip liner collection.

Overall, the Revolution Lipsticks aren't particularly revolutionary on their own but if you pair it up with their 24/7 lip pencils, the combination works wonderfully and is super long-lasting. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is, makes me happy fall is here xD

      Delete
  2. I still need to try their new lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their qualities may vary with each shade, curious to see which shade you end up choosing :3

      Delete
  3. That shade looks amazing, I really love purple toned lipsticks.
    It's a shame that the lipstick doesn't last longer on its own, but I do like the sound of a clear lip pencil, I will have to invest!

    xo

    The Shelley Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm quite curious about the clear lip pencil too, also thanks for taking the time to actually read my post :P

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, such a pretty colour. Especially for the upcoming F/W!

    Nicola Kate Makeup

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Almost makes the lack of sun we're experiencing here tolerable xD

      Delete