September 30, 2013

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick

For a long while, I've been quite eager to try out Kat Von D's cosmetic line. Sadly, as I'm located in the UK and her cosmetic line is exclusive to Sephora, seemingly only across the Atlantic as well. I have to say, considering how Sephora originated in France, it really sucks that the US seems to have the best range of products and none of them manage to make it over in France for some bizarre reason. Anyway, I managed to pick up one of these lipsticks on eBay and the other two from Roses Beauty Store.


The Painted Love Lipstick range began by taking Kat Von D's signature lip color, a sophisticated red, and expanding it into a range of smoldering shades, from crimson to blood red along with a fair few others. The shades I ended up purchasing was Celebutard after seeing it on Ebay which is a nude peach beige. I then bought Lovecraft purely because of the name as I already own a lipstick similar to it's shade. It is described as a berry beige which I can see but I would have described it as a dusty rose or pinky beige. Homegirl is the darkest of all three, it's described as a dark plummy brown but I see it as a burgundy.

 You may notice the packaging of Celebutard looks greyed out compared to the other two shades, it's because it's what the old lipstick packaging used to look like, on a matte packaging whereas it now has a slightly glossy packaging instead. It is now housed in a deluxe tube with a clear Lucite bottom that shows off the color inside, and the cap is stenciled with silver roses on black. The roses are inspired by Kat's favourite tattoo which is pretty cool. The only thing I don't particularly like about the packaging is that the tube is rather thick and chunky.


It isn't a long wear lipstick and it tends to transfer a lot quite easily due to its creamy texture. That said, I find different shades tend to vary in moistness/dryness. The driest out of all 3 and the most difficult to apply was Celebutard but it is obviously a really old one so it could just be because of that. Homegirl is the the creamiest one out of all three but I highly recommend using a lip liner with it. Lovecraft was somewhere in the middle of the two. The lighter shades didn't seem as opaque as Homegirl. The lipstick can last anywhere between roughly 2.5 to 4.5 hours. It mostly depends on how much often you eat or drink.

The Ingredients include natural seed oil (castor) which acts as an emollient and moisturiser, Hydrogenated Polydecene which is an emollient that contributes to the lipsticks long-wearing effect and Vitamins A, C and E which provide antioxidant and anti-aging properties. Despite including an ingredient that extends how long the lipstick it lasts, I definitely would not consider it to be a long wear lipstick.

It's unfortunate that this lipstick's availability is limited to Sephora stores. For those of us who really want to purchase them your best bets are Ebay or Roses Beauty Store. If you're in the states, the price for a lipstick would be roughly £12 but through Roses Beauty Store it'll cost you roughly £18, less if there's a discount code floating about. You get 3g of product per lipstick so considering what I've said about it's durability and texture, I would not have been happy to spend £18 on Celebutard, so I'm pretty happy I bid only £7 on ebay and won it. I may resell it if I decide I ultimately no longer care for it at all. However, being able to say my lipstick is called Lovecraft? I'd spend much more for a lipstick with that name. I love Homegirl, even though there's probably cheaper dupes out there for it, I don't regret purchasing it. Ultimately though, I probably won't be purchasing other shades in the collection for £18.

Overall, the quality seems to vary per shade but I love the lipsticks I ended up paying full price for. Unless I was able to try these on in-store, I probably won't be purchasing any other shades (for more than £12) without being able to test out their quality.

7 comments:

  1. Great review, i love this brand.
    xoxo


    www.makeupbynora.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first one. Thank you for review, I am a big Kat Von D fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovecraft is currently my daily lipstick ^^ I want to try her foundation and eyeshadows too.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, Celebutard. I've been meaning to get my hands on Homegirl for over a year now. I had the lipgloss version once, but I didn't like it and sold it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they did glosses :S Homegirl is lovely ^^

      Delete
  4. Lovecraft is simple yet adorable. Nice shade!

    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete