August 11, 2013

The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

I think it's fairly obvious that I have a slight makeup addiction and Illamasqua is definitely one of my favorite brands. Combine all that with my rather extreme music taste and the fact that I'm sadly not at Bloodstock today (the festival has named one of their stages after her) I think it makes perfect sense for me to discuss the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. Today marks the 6 year anniversary of the attack on Sophie Lancaster which ultimately ended her life.

Illamasqua is a makeup brand that's rather political, at least, as far as makeup brands go. They've done a lot of work with the LGBT community and are outright against animal testing. To top it all off, they also have a dedicated page to support the Sophie Lancaster Foundation on their site where one can simply donate to the charity or buy a few items whose price partly goes to the charity. You can purchase a S.O.P.H.I.E (Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred & Intolerance Everywhere) wristband for £2 on their site and the full amount goes to the charity.

Their Sophie pencil retails for £13 and only £3 goes to the charity. Admittedly, the first time I purchased my sophie pencil, I had no idea that part of my money was going to such a great cause. I do love the pencil, the super soft formula allows it to be super versatile and can be used all over the face. I've used it as a lipliner for whenever I've decided to wear black lips and as basic eyeliner. It's one of the few pencils that I can line my waterline with that doesn't irritate me. For the professionals, it's great for makeup body art too. It is currently the only eyeliner I own that I have repurchased.

I'm unsure as to whether any of the money from the Sophie Blusher (£18) also goes to the charity but as it is listed on the page, one would assume so but don't be angry with me it turns out I'm wrong. The blush is a relatively new shade and was only introduced to the line at the end of last year. It is a beautiful golden coral blush with silver and is, like the rest of Illamasqua's blushers, super pigmented. I didn't apply it on especially heavily in the photos so it's not especially easy to see in the photos.

The incident happened before attending university, so I wasn't in the UK at the time, but even then all the way in the middle east, I had heard of the incident. Admittedly, not through the local papers but online and through the local alternative kids. I had been teased a bit in high school being called a dirty mosher but it never truely bothered me as I loved the music and still do of course but nonetheless I just thought it so shocking that somebody had died because of their individuality.

Although there hasn't been an official law nationwide about classing any assaults on people belonging to any sort of subculture as a hate crime, there has been some progress. The Greater Manchester police crew have officially declared in April that they would officially begin to record any offences committed against alternative people as hate crimes. Six years on and although it is a step in the right direction, I am surprised it has taken so long for change to happen in only one part in the UK. I can appreciate that not all crimes done on an alternative person may specifically be because of the way they look but it's clear that the incident was one.

Disclaimer: This post was written to inform and open discussion rather than persuade donations, all goods were bought from my own money.

1 comment:

  1. Nice that you want to take stand and support stuff that supports LGBT and so forth. Yet you wear the t-shirt of a crappy racist southern american band that are anything but tolerant. Trust me, I know them, no matter whatever fake image they try to project. oi

    ReplyDelete