August 21, 2013

Sleek Makeup Matte Me Review

A few months ago, I tried out my very first long lasting matte liquid lipstick, ever since then, I've suddenly noticed quite a few other brands also have similar products. The trend is definitely spreading as Sleek has launched 6 new matte me liquid lipsticks in Brink Pink, Party Pink, Petal, Rioja Red, Birthday Suit and Fandango Purple. The liquid lipsticks are set to release in Superdrug on August 28th, but you can purchase these already on their official website for £4.99 each.


"Matte Me is a matte finish liquid lipstick that glides on in one smooth application, with no need for a second coat." - sleekmakeup.com

I'll be honest with you, it's not as simple as one smooth swipe. You'll have to make sure it gets into any cracks and will definitely need to apply a second layer at the very least. Moisturising with a balm a couple of minutes beforehand does make the process a little easier. Either way, once it's on, it's definitely worth it as it lasts for ages!

In terms of packaging, when I saw the photos online I felt very meh about it but when I received them they grew on me. The packaging was just so...sleek. The only thing that doesn't make me absolutely love the packaging is the font on the glass tube that says 'matte me', I feel like it cheapens the overall look. Aside from that, the packaging has grown on me. The three shades that I bought and swatched are Fandango Purple, Petal and Birthday Suit. 


Fandango Purple is a bright fuschia purple.
Petal is a pale pastel pink.
Birthday Suit is a classic wearable nude.

 Out of these three, Petal is the one I got along the least with and I'm usually terrified of bright lips on myself. Aside from the fact that it just looked a little too Barbie on myself, it was a pain to apply. The other three shades in the range that I didn't purchase are a bright pink, a coral shade and a classic red. My favorite out of all three is definitely Fandango Purple, even though its a bit more pink than I had imagined, I was genuinely expecting a bright purple. I feel like my camera may have made the color brighter than it actually is though as my skin isn't that pale and it looked dark in the mirror. I took quite a few photos but it turned out looking super bright in each of them even though it's not actually that neon. (Camera y u do this to me?) Nonetheless, the fuchsia edge on it definitely makes it wearable.

What makes me love this product though? How long it lasts. It's very similar to Lime Crime's velvetines (but cheaper, and more product!). If you have a meal you'll still get the same strange weird line in the middle of your lips (link), you can probably get away with it with Birthday Suit but for Fandango Purple you'll definitely need to reapply. So essentially, if you were to starve yourself all day it would easily last at least 8 hours. I find even if I shower it won't completely disappear as well, you'll definitely have to use makeup remover.

Overall: If you've never tried a matte liquid lipstick, I'd definitely recommend you try these out (maybe not petal) as they're pretty affordable. Opt for a more outrageous shade as these seem to apply easier, make sure to use a lip liner, I used red for the fuchsia one and it worked out fine.

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous lipsticks. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of the purple one, not sure how i'd get on with the formula but I may give them a shot!

    sjmcdf.blogspot.com xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think for a fiver, it's worth a shot, much more so for the brighter ones :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm from Brazil and I like your blog very much, Can you tell me if they have a scent like vanilla, a bad scent or no smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I couldn't smell anything and I asked a friend to sniff it too, they said they couldn't smell anything either. So no scent :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much the same thing as Lime Crime's Velvetines yes. I'm not sure if the red in this collection is the same shade though :)

      Delete
  5. I have these and I'm so disappointed. They're like powder on your lips that when it gets wet, it fades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had that problem for some reason, I don't even use moisturiser on my lips either so I didn't find it drying. Strange. I also had no problem with fading until a few hours later =/

      Delete