August 23, 2013

Missing out on the Ariel Sephora Palette

This post only really exists because of the image above (source), I just had to use it but I thought I'd talk about me passing up on an Ariel Storylook Palette from Sephora and throw in an Ariel (ish) inspired look of the day too. So to start off with, I was really looking forward to the Ariel collection out of all three of the ones released by Sephora, I don't know why I, along with many other girls, have this strange obsession with the red-headed mermaid. When the palette finally released though, I was underwhelmed with the collection. Polishes weren't by O.P.I, beautifully colored glosses with barely any pigmentation and a huge palette with many boring colors and no bright red eyeshadow. 

Don't get me wrong, the packaging is beautiful and...that's about it. The original retail price is $55 which is roughly £35 but as I'm here in the UK, I'd have to pay over £55 to purchase it, for my US readers that's over $85. The lovely Rose from Roses beauty store had received one and offered it to me for £60 but declined apologetically, saying I wasn't going to go for it, let someone else who's really keen on it have their fun. It's just too much money for me to pay as I know that I'm not going to get much use out of it, I'd honestly just be buying it for the packaging. Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't me saying don't go and buy it, this isn't me judging everyone else out there for buying it either, this is just me saying why I didn't, that is all. It's a great collectors item and I'm pretty sure many other people out there will and can get much more use out of it. To further understand my case, I'd recommend you watch or read Vintage or Tacky's review on the palette as she nailed it perfectly. For my UK readers who are desperate for anything from the Ariel collection, do keep an eye out on Roses Beauty store, as it's still cheaper than buying it from Ebay.

So onto my look of the day with my personal pet peeve, self shots (you gotta do what you gotta do eh?). It's kind of Ariel(ish) inspired but in a more subtle way. Essentially I just took the greens from her mertail and threw on a red wig to make it more Ariel like. If I really wanted to be truer to the character, I would have gone for red lips, black eyeliner with blue contacts or used a purple and green eyeshadow combination. Since both of those have been done before, I thought I'd simplify things by sticking to green shadows. That said, this look definitely suits my natural hair much better. I find bright hair/wigs suit neutral colored makeup and it's much easier to get away with crazy colored eye makeup with your natural hair but for the sake of the theme, I used my Geisha Wigs wig, in Fire.

Products Used
Urban Decay Primer Potion
NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk
Sugarpill pressed powder in Acidberry
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow in Darling
Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencil in Deep End
Illamasqua Sophie Pencil
Lime Crime Uniliner in Quill
Vitage cosmetics Spiced Coffee Eye Color
Illamasqua Lipstick in Test
Illamasqua Powder Blusher in Ambition
Illamasqua Skin Base Lift, Skin Base Foundation 10
Illamasqua Powder Foundation 200, Hydra Veil
Geisha Wigs in Fire

2 comments: