August 18, 2013

Illamasqua's Sacred Hour Collection

If there was a single brand whose makeup I'd love to own everything of, it'd be Illamasqua. The new collection, Sacred Hour is inspired by two pivotal times of the day, dawn and dusk and is set to release on Monday the 19th of August (tomorrow) but has had an early exclusive release in Selfridges stores in the UK. The collection consists of the Reflection palette, two nail polishes, one of which was previously limited edition, a new lipstick shade, two velvet blushers, new concealer Skin Base Lift and a pair of false lashes that were designed by one of the lovely Illamasqua girls.

The collection as a whole is definitely one of the safer ones, there aren't any outrageous shades in this, no bright purple or teal lipsticks, so it may not appeal too much to fellow unicorns. That said, it's definitely a super practical collection. I was oh so very tempted to purchase the Reflection palette, which has the same not quite cream not quite powder texture as the paranormal palette did but I figured I'll probably not get much use from it as I already own so many shadows. In the end I decided to pick up three items, a skin base lift, a velvet blusher and the new lipstick shade, shard.

Skin Base Lift in Medium 2 (£16)
Illamasqua's brand new product, Skin Base Lift, is designed to 'reawaken' your eyes. It was specifically formulated to work with their Hydra Veil primer and Skin Base Foundation. They come in 7 different shades which match specifically with certain skin base shades. You can apply this using your hand or with a brush. I love how lightweight it feels when applied, even when you build up for coverage. I find myself reaching for this if I leave the house with no foundation, just because it does such a good job brightening away my dark eyes and I can easily apply it with my (clean) fingers. That said, it's not perfect, I find that it sort of cakes around my under eye lines, I'm sure there's a way to fix that problem, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Velvet Blusher in Sleek (£18)
The new collection has launched two blushers (sleek and peaked) of an entirely new finish, they've called it a velvet blusher. I'm not sure how to describe it, it seems like a dense cream blusher, making it far less messy than their cream blushers which is a massive plus in my opinion. This is another product you can slap on your face using your fingers and blending out with your thumbs leaving a matte finish. If you use your fingers do be careful though as it is super pigmented and a little definitely goes a long way. A brush doesn't pick up too much product which is great for a more natural glow. The fact that it's not messy and lasts a full working day is what makes this a product that I'd definitely repurchase. I hope I'll be seeing new shades in the future.

Lipstick in Shard (£16.50)
Last but not least is, what I would consider, after the reflection palette, the main feature of the collection. The new lipstick in Shard. It may not be as extreme as their ESP lipstick from their summer collection but it is still a gorgeous color and one that I definitely think is more universally flattering. The color does seem to look different depending on whoever is wearing it, Illamasqua describes it as a red violet shade, it does have a dark berry type feel to it. I apologise for my swatch not being great, it can only ever be as good as the lighting and unfortunately it's been rather gloomy weather lately. I do plan on getting some decent swatches of my full Illamasqua lipstick range at some point though so do look out for that. The formula is not forgiving for those of us with dry lips so I'd definitely recommend you exfoliate and apply lip balm. As it's a rather dark color, it'd be a good idea to use a lip liner of some sort too, I find my red lipliner works fine. The lipstick, like all other Illamasqua lipsticks are super longlasting as well.

Have you picked up anything from the Sacred Hour collection? Anything caught your interest? Let me know in the comments section below!

6 comments:

  1. I think I might have to buy that lipstick! The blusher looks beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both lovely colors, the lipstick would really suit you :)

      Delete
  2. I love the look of that blusher,very intrigued what they mean by a velvet finish! I love the sound of it though and the fact it can last for a good while. I'm going to looking at it when it hits the website tomorrow.

    - Rhi | Beauty Bucket List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it out, maybe even instore first to see if you do really like it :)

      Delete
  3. Love the collection, the colours are beautiful!

    xx

    www.forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they really are. Been experimenting with them a lot too :3

      Delete