August 16, 2013

Does Baby Lips live up to the hype?

Hey guys! So a while ago I did a review on whether or not I thought the much raved Apocalips by Rimmel lived up to the hype surrounding it. As people have been raving about Maybelline's Baby Lips and it's been sold out in so many places, I basically thought I'd see what the fuss was all about and see it has managed to live up to all of the hype. Six varieties have launched in the UK but I'm fairly sure there are many more types in the states. I ended up picking up three as there was a 3 for 2 offer. After much ooh-ing and ah-ing I finally decided to pick peach kiss (purple), hydrate (blue) and mint fresh (green).


Let's get the first thing out of the way, the packaging, I love it and I'm pretty sure this combined with it's affordability is the main reason it's so popular. The fact that there are different colors just adds to my lust for them. The unicorn deep down inside me wanted to buy all 6 of them but ultimately I decided against it. These balms definitely take me back to my Lipsmacker filled preteen years.

There are essentially two types of baby lip balms, tinted and SPF balms. I only purchased one of the tinted ones as I wasn't especially keen on the pink or red shades because if I wanted a red of pink lip, I would just use lipstick for full coverage rather than a tint. That said, I have naturally dark lips so the tint from Peach Kiss did little to nothing for me, I wouldn't personally wear just this on my lips. If you have lighter colored lips though you might find that it works better on you. That said I did feel as though the tinted ones moisturised my lips for longer than the other ones with SPF did. 

Hydrate and Mint Fresh both have SPF 20. Hydrate claims to...hydrate your lips better and mint fresh as you can guess leaves a lovely mint feel to your lips. I personally expected to prefer these ones to the tinted ones but I feel like Hydrate doesn't especially hydrate your lips any more than Mint Fresh does and to top it all off Peach Kiss felt like it lasted on my lips longer than these two did. 

Maybelline claims that these last 8 hours on the lips but in all honesty, I'd say the balm wears off in 2-3 hours. After 7 days of wear, these did help improve the state of my lips but my lips still aren't perfect. They still feel a little rough but considering how they've been flaking a lot, I'll take it. If you manage to be lucky enough to find it in a Superdrug or Boots store, you can purchase one of these for £3. Last I checked, the two chains  have a 3 for 2 offer on the full Maybelline range as well.

Overall: It's an affordable lip balm and the packaging is cute. It's not revolutionary, it doesn't even moisturise the lips for the full 8 hours that it claims to do on the packaging. I don't think it warrants the amount of hype that surrounds it but...cute packaging?

6 comments:

  1. Nice post. I still have not tried Baby Lips Lip Balm yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried them! I agree that the packaging is very cute but they essentially seem like just a normal lip balm! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the cherry one the other day and still need to try it. I think they're brill for the price though!

    good post,
    Zofia xo
    http://littlemisspradaxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still like them it's just I think it's silly how these are sold out in places so quickly :P

      Delete
  4. I like them a lot! But I think the tinted ones are the ones that shine. I do like them because they feel good on...I wear them most days to work, because I like to have just a bit of color that is sheer enough to reapply when needed without a mirror. I have the mint, peach, orange, grape, cherry, and pink punch. They aren't revolutionary, but they are cute and really nice for the price!

    ReplyDelete