July 22, 2013

Concrete Minerals Swatches Part 1

It felt like ages, but I've finally received my very first order from concrete minerals! They were hosting a sale on July 4th so I thought I'd finally go ahead and try the brand out. The brand is 100% cruelty free and the majority of their products, 98% are vegan friendly. The only items they sell that aren't vegan friendly are their electric eye primer and 3 of their mineral eye shadows (source). They are working on changing the formula apparently to make sure the whole line is vegan friendly. What appeals to me the most is that they exclude cheap fillers like talc and bismuth oxychloride. To top it all off, they don't include parabens or any other 'scary' preservatives. I definitely think it's great that an indie brand puts in so much effort into their products to prevent any sort of skin irritation.

I thought I'd divide these swatches into two because there's a fair amount of product and I really wanted to talk about each shade and half of them were bought together as a set. Four of today's products were bought with Concrete Mineral's special Blogger/Guru discount. The other two, Saint and Bang-Up, I added on to be able to get free delivery. I was surprised to find that I had also received two sample sachets with some neutral shades, White Rabbit and Blitzkreig.

Each jar contains 1.5g of product which isn't especially generous but for $7 (over £4.5), it'll do and let's be honest there are plenty of makeup brands out there who've charged much more for less. Each jar contains a sifter which is great as I'm rather clumsy so it'll prevent a lot of spillage if I were to drop any of these. Mind you, you'll have to shake the jar around a bit to get any product out. When I ordered these, I never expected them to look quite so pretty. Out of all these, I was genuinely surprised by how bright Bang-Up looked in the jar.

Over Urban Decay Primer Potion - Flash
Foiled with Illamasqua's Sealing Gel - Flash

Infinity is described as a smooth aqua blue of the Tiffany variety. Personally I see it as a mute greyed turquoise. I love the shade as I don't own anything like it.

Charm School is a bright, glittery green with golden undertones. It definitely seems somewhat muted down too, a bright but light faded out acid green, almost pastelish. It is most definitely a unique color and I can't say I own a shade like this.

Sweet Catrina is a pinky-neutral with silver sparkle. It is a lovely pink-champagne and part of the Sugar Skull collection but it was a bit of a disappointment for me as I had imagined it to not be very pink and I own something quite similar, this is what happens when you don't read product descriptions before purchase!

Bat-Breaker is a steel-grey with flashes of turquoise and red. It's from the Arkham collection released in 2011 and unfortunately is the only one still available for purchase whilst the rest has been discontinued. I just had to own it. Why? Because...Batman. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing with this, but I'll make sure it is Batman related somehow.

Saint is described as a navy-blue purple and is also from the Sugar Skull collection. In the jar it looks more on the purple side but once applied it seems to be much more navy blue.

Bang-Up is an electric blue with gold sparkle, it is a super bright blue. However it looks a lot brighter in the pan than how it actually turns out, but I'm fine with that personally.

Blitzkreig is listed as a shimmery bronzy-brown. It's one of the samples and is most definitely a super pretty color of the neutral variety. It is also one of the only three non-vegan shades.

White Rabbit is a pale white with pink sheen. This is part of their previous Alice in Wonderland collection, it seems like a decent color to use for a highlighter, don't think I could get away with it being all over my lid.

Have you tried Concrete Minerals before? Look out for part 2 featuring the Blackest Black stack!

4 comments:

  1. I really love the colours of the shadows and when used with the sealing gel the colours really pop!
    Love the blog!
    Naomi - www.stylespritz.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, normally you see a huge difference just from primers but when you apply them wet, the colors seem to pop so much more!

      Delete
  2. I really love the 'Blitzkrieg' shade - that is super pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, I'm now kinda gutted I didn't purchase it and only received it as a sample xD

      Delete