July 19, 2013

5 Favorite Products To Beat The Summer Heat

It's been a while since my last post, life has kept me occupied and the heat has seemed to drain all of my motivation whenever I'm home. It's the first time I'm experiencing my first British summer. Sure summer in Dubai is far more brutal but air conditioning is a must in every house out in the desert whereas it's a rare thing over here. Apparently a summer like this hasn't happened in a while, to be honest, I'm not complaining... much. I find it's much better to deal with the heat outside in the shade than indoors. Anyway, my point is, I've found that my makeup routine has changed a little to deal with the heat. So this is my list of 5 products I'm using to deal with the summer heat.


1. Lime Crime Velvetines lipstick in Red Velvet
I really, REALLY love wearing this in the heat. I've generally been avoiding lipsticks and glosses because they can feel somewhat sticky in this heat. I really do love the whole matte drying liquid lipstick thing that a fair few brands have come out with. Lime Crime's Red Velvet is so far the only one I've tried and own for now but with this heat not really going away for now, I have been looking for other shades. I find I've been receiving a fair few compliments too wearing this, I think it could be because I'd imagine a lot of people might be going for the natural/minimalistic makeup look in this heat.

2. Benefit They're Real Mascara
So let me say, I've always worn eyeliner. My first real grown up makeup product (lipsmackers don't count right?) was eyeliner. Ever since, any day where I apply makeup I pretty much always use eyeliner but for some reason this summer I find myself avoiding it. Instead, I've been grabbing my Benefit they're real mascara. It's not even intentional, out of all makeup products, mascara has usually been the one I skipped out on quite often. I find the mascara definitely helps give the eye some sort of impact considering how I'm not really applying anything else.

3. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation
If you've been following my blog for a while, (I'd be surprised if you were), you'd know I love Illamasqua's skin base foundation. I have tried using a BB cream this summer, admittedly it wasn't an Asian branded one but damn it really did not work well with my skin. It was giving me the strangest lumps of spots I'd ever had, I'm not sure whether to bash the product with a review only because what works well with one person's skin may not work at all with someone else's. Skincare is a very personal thing. Either way, my poor experience with that product has made me really appreciate my Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation so much more. No spots, decent coverage and provides SPF 15. It may not be called a BB cream but it was inspired by the original Asian BB creams before the western market saturated the industry with BB, CC & the like creams.

4. John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Agent
My hair in heat can be so intolerable. One of the reasons I prefer life in the UK vs life in Dubai is because my hair is so much more manageable here. Also there's the fact that the water in Dubai is known to cause a lot of fall out. Either way, I haven't yet picked up and Macadamia Hair stuff, they are wonderful products but rather pricey. So for now, this is the hair product I use whenever my hair is dry or on the frizzier side. I try not to apply too much as it can easily go from dry to super greasy that way.

5. Sunblock
Protect your skin. That is all I really have to say. I used to be terrible with sunblock and avoid it like the plague as a child. Admittedly, this was because I was told to apply it and had to throw Johnson and Johnsons baby powder on my face, making me look like a ghost so I avoided the entire process quite often but now I am older and wiser and realised that I don't have to throw white powder on my face just because I've applied sunblock on. I don't really have a favorite in terms of brand but in terms of SPF, I would say 30. Why? Because apparently anything higher than SPF30 gives a marginal increase in protection, as in not much. So my childhood filled with greasy SPF 100 sunblock was unnecessary. Not going to complain though, better safe than sorry.

Disclaimer: This is my personal list and is in no way me dictating to any of my readers what to wear...except for maybe the sunblock if you're really enjoying this weather.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to try Skin Base! Illamasqua are the only brand that seem to make foundations pale enough for me, and I love their Rich Liquid one. I own Red Velvet too but I'm still on the fence! I was really expecting to love it but I'm not sure! I hoping they'll bring out more shades soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try them out! Go in store and get matched, the people are usually super friendly :) I haven't tried their rich liquid one but I'm half tempted to try it out at some point. I can understand if you're not sure, if I don't lip line I find it goes everywhere. Also apparently they'll be releasing a purple shade in fall some time, I'm just curious to know what kind of purple :)

      Delete
  2. Simple routines like this are the way to go in the Summer! We're having a heat wave where I am in the States, and it's been horrible. I haven't worn bb creams or foundations since my skin has been so oily. I've basically been using a powder foundation if anything at all.

    http://skinstuffbykaty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, a powder foundation sounds super handy, I haven't ever tried one myself but I'm quite curious. May look into it :)

      Delete
  3. This heat is driving me crazy! My make up slides off my face as soon as I step outside haha.
    Maybe I should try that skin base thingy. Sounds interesting :)
    xxx

    www.sarah-nunn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's perfect but it's much better than the average liquid foundation :)

      Delete