March 27, 2013

MakeupGeek Eyeshadow Starter Kit Review


So some time last month, I mentioned that the lovely folks from Makeup geek had sent me a couple of eyeshadows. After playing around with their shadows, I thought I should finally share my thoughts.

Disclaimer: Although these were sent to me, these opinions are purely my own. These products were not sent to me for review.

"These are all highly-pigmented 
Half the price of MAC shadows without sacrificing quality
This kit is for the eyeshadow pans only 
These pans can be placed in empty palettes (Mac or Z-Palettes)
With a separate palette, you can build your own custom palettes
All our shadows are cruelty-free
These eyeshadows are Talc and Paraben-Free
We ship worldwide at affordable rates"
- MakeupGeek.com

I love the packaging on these. The quote on the packaging sticks out to me the most. For those struggling to read, it says "As Makeup Geeks, we stay true to who we are. Cosmetics are not used to change ourselves, but to enhance the exquisite and unique people that we are. To be a Makeup Geek means to be reflection of our inner beauty."


"These nine shades are specifically chosen by Marlena to be the best shadows to get your collection started and will serve as a solid foundation for the most stunning looks. The starter kit has a nice blend of shimmer and matte shadows that will make you fall in love with the Makeup Geek brand." - Makeupgeek.com

The photos of the shadows are pretty accurate, except for Unexpected and Drama Queen. I struggled to get the photo to turn up well for some reason. They both have a purple tinge to them. I've written down the color descriptions as on the makeupgeek website so you have a better idea what those colors are like.  

Unexpected - Light and subtle pink matte purple blend
Prom Night - Pale purple with hints of grey and a shimmery finish
Drama Queen - Densely dark purple with a shimmery finish
Cocoa Bear - Matte golden brown
Mocha - Matte warm medium brown
Corrupt - Intense matte black with small bit of sparkle
Créme Brulee - Medium sand color with a soft matte finish
Shimma Shimma - Shimmery highlight
Glamorous - Bronzy, shimmery gold

Eyeshadow colors from L-R are:
Unexpected, Prom Night, Drama Queen, Cocoa Bear, Mocha, Corrupt, Créme Brulee, Shimma Shimma, Glamorous

So, do the shadows live to their own hype? 
These are definitely highly pigmented. Having said that, you will definitely have to use some form of eye primer for the best results. You can alternatively attempt to use up more product and try and pack them on by layering but I find it easier to use primer as it helps the product last longer once applied.

My three favorite colors out of these nine are definitely creme brulee, corrupt and drama queen. Corrupt is officially my go to black shadow and although I generally steer clear from neutral colors, I love creme brulee's soft sand shade. I love the subtly dark purple of drama queen but I just wish the shade wouldn't change it's color with the lighting so much.

The different finishes seem to apply equally well. If there are any duds within the collection, it certainly isn't in the starter kit. Although this set isn't particularly colorful, the brand does have a wide variety of colors available at their online store.

The 9 eyeshadow starter kit costs $49.99 all together which is roughly £33, but if you'd like to buy just certain colors, a single pan costs $5.99 which is a little over £4.60. If you don't have a place to store the eyeshadow pans safely, there's the option of buying eyeshadow compacts for $7.99 which translates to roughly £5.30. As someone who owns many colorful shadows, I tend to struggle whilst searching for a neutral shadow to finish of my look, with these 9 shadows I definitely feel that I don't particularly need to search for any other neutral shadows to add to my collection.

Would I recommend these? Most defintiely yes. I applied this on and was surprised to find the look stayed completely put for 8 hours. They're much cheaper than many brands out there. I've also already bought a whole bunch of shadows myself looong before receiving these. I just find that I haven't taken any self shots with those shadows yet. I find if I'm ever travelling, I'll opt to take my Z-palette out of all  of my other palettes.

You can check out my previous look of the day post from last month using 5 of these shadows in this starter kit, I'll try and post up a second look using some of the other shadows in this set some time in the next month.

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh, all those colors look so nice! Great swatches. I especially like the mocha color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yeah, mocha is a pretty decent color ^^

      Delete
  2. Even though I never heard of this brand, the colors look pretty opaque which is a absolute plus for me and I love the nude colors too. Great review hun.

    xoxo Pakize

    Madame Keke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makeupgeek was originally just a website with reviews, looks, swatches etc, they've expanded to a store in the last year or so. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice swatches! :) those colors look so gorgeous and very pigmented..
    I'm your newest follower! I hope you have a time to come look at my blog as well.

    xx
    Grace
    http://www.graceofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, these shadows are super pigmented. Look out for a look of the day using these shadows!

      Delete
  4. Much love,
    Wengie
    www.wengie.com"
    "Nice <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own the entire mug eyeshadow collection. They are awesome very pigmented and creamy! I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, the entire collection >.< I am massively jelly but yes, although I'm not a neutral sorta person, I do find myself seeking after these shades fairly often ^^

      Delete